Friday, March 2, 2012

Just Listen

I talk a lot, and by a lot, I mean a lot. And I hardly ever filter myself. Sometimes, I just talk for the sake of filling the silence. It's not all  meaningless banter though, most of the time the things that come out of my mouth are important (as to who else perceives it's importance is another story). I like to make people think, and I enjoy hearing other's opinions and thoughts on controversial matters.

You'll find, the more intent and open you are in a conversation, whether or not it's of interest to you, the more you learn about someone. People tend to drop little morsels about who they are, their likes and dislikes, things that upset them, without even realizing it. It's those types of things that you should hold on to. We underestimate the power we have to completely turn someones day around, for better or worse. Using the information you gain through conversation has the potential to make all the difference.

Think of it this way, say you're with a couple of friends and a few people you've never met. You're all having a conversation about movies. You voice your distaste for scary films, not thinking much of it. Weeks later, one of the boys there that night asks you out on a date. He tells you that he chose a comedy, knowing how much you dislike horror films. The fact that he remembers that, seemingly useless, little factoid about you probably makes you smile. I guarantee, if he hadn't already, he's gained your interest (and probably even a second date, if all goes well).

Communication is the key to every relationship, romantic or not. But communication isn't just how you say things, it's how you choose to listen as well. So next time you're talking to someone, devote your full attention to this person, you never know what you might learn.

2 comments:

  1. You're so head of most girls, its refreshing to know there are nice girls out there and a bonus with brains lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again, you've managed to give me a compliment I don't get very often. Thank you, it's nice to know that my thoughts are appreciated (:

    ReplyDelete