Thursday, March 8, 2012

Happily Never After

I've never been one to half-ass things, pardon the expression. The way I see it, either you're giving it your all or you're wasting your time. Which is why I find relationships so frustrating. You think you're putting in everything you've got, and it seems as if your significant other has better things to do. In reality, this is probably not the case, but expectations of how we think things should be tend to set us up for one disappointment after another.

I came across this quote the other day and I really couldn't have said it better myself: "What screws us up most in life is the picture in our head of how it is supposed to be." We have society and the media to blame for this. However, we should know better. After all, when it comes to relationships there really isn't a 'right' way to go about it. Don't get me wrong, I know (or at least I hope I do) when someone is 'wrong' for me, but I think the wrongs of relationships are a lot easier to figure out than the rights...Maybe it's just me?

Regardless, we, myself included, need to stop trying to live our lives in hopes that it will turn out like P.S. I Love You  or The Notebook. Let's be real, happily ever afters come in all shapes and sizes and the chances of yours following some Nicholas Sparks novel are slim to none (they're called novels for a reason). You're only hurting yourself (and any potential relationship you may have) when you view things this way.

My point being, that if you stop expecting and start enjoying what you've got, you'll find it's a lot easier to appreciate the little things in life.Your boyfriend may not be Prince Charming, but the fact that he gives up a Saturday night to cuddle up in bed and watch Disney movies with you should be more than any girl could ask for.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree & couldn't have said it any better myself. We've all been guilty of this and we know it...yet we still set expectations so high and in all reality nothings ever like we plan.

    ReplyDelete